Saturday, June 16, 2012

Vegetables & The Gospel of Catherine

Good morning!

I wanted to share a few thoughts with y'all on the readings we have been doing.  First of all, who didn't love the Daniel passage that encouraged healthy eating?  Moral of the story?  EAT YOUR VEGETABLES!!!!

I read Galatians 1 this morning and wow!  It hit me like a brick.  There was so much meaty stuff in here, but I chose the following verse on which to focus:

"I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel."  Galatians 1:6

Let's break this down... in much of Paul's writing, he's gentle and loving when exhorting other followers.  Not here.  Within the first paragraph of his letter, he rails them for their sinful ways.  I have no idea what is going on in Galatia during this time, but I know what is going on in my heart when I read this.

I am not deserting the religion on which I was raised.

I am not deserting my church family.

I am not deserting my good, ethical way of life.

I am deserting Jesus.

Ouch.

I asked myself:  What's worth more?  For what am I deserting Him?  This is where it's really easy to read this verse and say:  Oh I'd never become a Kaballist.  (Easy for me- I hate those little red bracelets!)  The Galatians may very well have been choosing to follow false teachers & pagan practices during the writing of this letter... but it's just as likely that their "different gospel" was much like mine.


The Gospel of Catherine involves my distrust of His provision.


The Gospel of Catherine involves my faithlessness when it comes to His plan for me & my family.

The Gospel of Catherine involves my selfishness with my time, money, & talents.

The Gospel of Catherine breaks Jesus' heart.

This was a hard but fruitful lesson for me.

How are YOUR quiet times going?  Gwen and I would love to hear from you!!  Comment here or email one of us and we'll post your thoughts on the blog.

Hope everyone's weekend is off to a great start!!

No comments:

Post a Comment